Undergoing weight-loss surgery in Mexico can raise a lot of questions from your friends and family. The process of choosing the best bariatric surgeon in Mexico is not that different from choosing a surgeon in any other developed nation. It is a vital step in feeling confident about undergoing a life-changing bariatric procedure.
According to Vox, there are an estimated 1.4 million people who left the United States for medical treatment in 2017. With such affordable surgery options available, it is important to invest some time and effort in selecting one of the best bariatric surgeons in Tijuana to attain the safest and most predictable results.
Below are our trusted bariatric surgeons who specialize in different bariatric and metabolic surgeries, such as gastric sleeve in Mexico. They have performed thousands of successful surgeries that have led to astounding results.
The Goal in Finding the Best Bariatric Surgeons in Tijuana, Mexico
A surgeon’s experience performing successful bariatric procedures is a critical factor in the selection process. The entire goal of Tijuana Bariatrics Center is successful surgery. Our surgeons perform all metabolic and bariatric procedures within an accredited Mexico bariatric center.
We accomplish this by taking an evidence-based approach to top bariatric surgeons, hospitals, and processes to ensure the highest patient outcomes possible.
Top-Rated Weight Loss Surgeons in Mexico
Mexico has become one of the top destinations for medical tourism and offers outstanding weight loss procedures for people in the United States. General surgery facilities and clinics are led by some of the top-rated bariatric surgeons, who are committed to providing total patient satisfaction in every case for US and Canadian medical tourists.
Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela: Bariatric Surgeon Tijuana, Mexico
Double board-certified surgeon Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela is one of the most respected and experienced bariatric surgeons in Tijuana. Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela uses some of the most advanced surgical and laparoscopic techniques to perform gastric sleeve surgery as well as RNY gastric bypass in Mexico.
- American College of Surgeons: Assistant of the 94th Annual F.A.C.S. – 2008
- World Endoscopic Surgery Congress: Assistant – 2012
- Obesity and Metabolic Surgery Congress: Assistant – 2012
- Gastric Sleeve Course: Tijuana Hospital Angeles – 2010
- Medical Intern: IMSS H.G.R. No. 30 y 31 (2001-2002)
- General Surgeon: Hospital Regional de Tepatitlan, Jalisco (2008-2009)
- Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon: Hospital Guzman, Tijuana Baja California (2009-2010)
- Emergency Room Surgeon: Hospital Angeles, Tijuana Baja California (2009-2010)
- Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon: IMSS Tijuana, Baja California (2010)
- Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon: Hospital General Regional, Tecate, Baja California (2010)
- Laparoscopic and Bariatric Surgeon: Hospital Mi Doctor, Tijuana, Baja California (2012)
- Medical Doctor: Universidad Autonoma de Baja California, Facultad de Medicina, campus Mexicali (1998-2002)
- Internship: Hospital Regional de Zona No 31 y 31 IMSS Mexicali B.C. Mexico (2002-2003)
- Social Service: Centro de Salud Ejido Puebla , Mexicali B.C. Mexico (2003-2004)
- Specialization in General Surgery: Hospital General de Occidente. Guadalajara, Jalisco. (2005-2009)
- Advanced Laparoscopy and Bariatric Surgery: Hospital Angeles Tijuana, HGR 1 IMSS Tijuana. (2009-2011)
Dr. Valenzuela has performed thousands of surgeries to help patients start living a healthier life through:
- Gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico
- Gastric bypass surgery in Mexico
- Laparoscopic bariatric and metabolic surgery in Mexico
- Mini Gastric Bypass
- Gastric Band
- Revision Surgery
Dr. Alejandro Gutierrez: Bariatric Surgeon Tijuana, Mexico
Dr. Alejandro Gutierrez is a highly-trained bariatric and metabolic surgeon in Tijuana, Mexico. After working alongside Dr. Louisiana Valenzuela, Alejandro Gutierrez MD. began working with his own expert team of weight loss surgery specialists in 2015. Since then, he has become a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) in the United States and has achieved double-board certification in Mexico bariatrics.
- Fellows of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) – 2019
- Certified General Surgeon by the CMCG – 2014
- Mexican Association of Endoscopic Surgery – 2012
- Mexican Council of General Surgery – 2012
- Autonomous University of Baja California Faculty of Medicine and Psychology – 2018
- La Universidad Autonoma de Baja California Medicao General – 2006
- Secretaria de Educacion Publica Direccion General de Profesiones – 2012
- Especialidad en Cirugia General – 2012
- Member of the American College of Surgeons (ACS)
- Board Certified by CMCG & CMCOEM
- Performed 4,500+ Bariatric Surgeries 
- Speaks fluent English with great bedside manner
- Member of AMCE and CMCOEM
- Attendee of IFSO
While finding an incredibly skilled bariatric surgeon is not always easy, Dr. Gutierrez is one of the best bariatric surgeons across the globe. He is ranked highly in surgical procedures, including:
- Single-incision laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy
- RNY gastric bypass
- Reinforced sleeve gastrectomy
- Gastric mini bypass
- Revisional operations
- Intragastric balloon
Dr. Ismael Cabrera: Bariatric Surgeon Tijuana, Mexico
Ismael Cabrera, MD, is consistently ranked one of the top bariatric surgeons in Mexico. Dr. Ismael Cabrera provides customized procedures tailored to the patient’s unique needs and is committed to delivering personalized care to every tourist seeking low-cost weight loss surgery in Mexico medical center.
- Fresno heart and surgical hospital – Fresno/ California 2011
- Certification of participation in observation in obesity surgeries
- Hospital Angeles Tijuana – Tijuana/Mexico 2010
- Fellowship in Advanced laparoscopy
- IMSS Hospital Specialty General Surgery Northeast UMAE 25 – Monterrey/Mexico 2009
- General and Digestive Surgery specialty
- University UPAEP – Puebla,/Mexico 1998-2005 – General Medicine
- Elementary School Puebla Mexico Institute of BC (1986-1992)
- June High School Puebla Mexico Institute of BC (1992-1995)
- High School Puebla Mexico Institute of BC (1995-1998)
- University UPAEP (1998-2002)
- Internship MIG specialty hospital, Mexico City (2002-2003)
- Social Service San Jose Ixtapa, Municipality of Caada Morelos Puebla, Puebla. (2003-2004)
- Surgery degree – CMN IMSS Hospital Northeast UMAE 25. Monterrey, Nuevo Leon.
- Advances Laparoscopy Hospital Angeles Tijuana, HGR 1 IMSS Tijuana. (2009-2010)
Recent Educational, Membership Activities
- 2012 Assistant to de World congress of endoscopic surgery
- 2012 Member of the Mexican Association of obesity surgery and metabolic disorders
- 2011 Participation en el Xlll Congreso Nacional De Cirugia De Obesidad y Enfermedades Metabolic
- A.C.Ensenada, Baja California
- 2011 Certification of participation in Advanced laparoscopy and Obesity Surgery March-April 2011 Fresno, California Dr. Kelvin D, Higa
As one of the top weight loss surgeons in Tijuana, Mexico, Dr. Ismael Cabrera has experience in Laparoscopic bariatric and metabolic surgery in Mexico and specializes in:
- Gastric Sleeve
- Gastric Bypass
- Gastric Banding (Lap Band Surgery)
- Revision Surgeries
- Duodenal Switch
- Sleeve Plication
Choosing the Best Bariatric Surgeon in Tijuana, Mexico
It’s also a good idea to ask questions regarding the bariatric center or hospital in which the procedure will be performed. When choosing a bariatric surgeon in Mexico, ask if the facility where the procedure will be performed is a member of the Joint Commission International (JCI).
The JCI is a division of the U.S.-based Joint Commission, the most respected and demanding hospital accreditation group in the country. The JCI is responsible for accrediting international facilities that conform to the same meticulous standards required by those within the U.S.
Choosing the right bariatric surgeon takes time, effort, and research. Your health is important, so it is worth the investment to find a doctor that is going to give you the best results possible. Choosing a bariatric surgeon is not that different than choosing a qualified medical provider within your home country.
Choose a bariatric surgeon who provides the following surgeries:
- Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Lap-Band Surgery
- Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Gastric Balloon Surgery
- Gastric Plication
- Duodenal Switch Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery Revisions
For help in deciding which procedure is right for you, you are invited to contact Mexico Bariatric Center.